Kelsey-Land
11.02.2005
  Rethinking Youth Ministry
I just had a conversation with a Christian Scholar/Professor and a parent of a Club 56 kid. His son prefers a quieter, more structured style of learning. Club 56 is not completely quiet, although we try to be some times, and we're not completely stuctured, although we do make plans. In this conversation, the professor parent had some concerns about how we do Youth Ministry. He is feeling that it just doesn't work - and it isn't teaching students core Biblical foundation. Which is a bummer because I feel like we are trying to do that - but perhaps we need to try harder.

My questions is how? How do we create a ministry where students gain firm Biblical foundations for life? One possible solutions seems obvious: time. More time with students would create more opportunity for students to learn key Biblical Truth. Another solution: More intentional teaching with the time we do have with students. This is hard. My goal is to make the game, the (singing) worship, the talk and the small groups make sense together. I want the game to be intentional and have a point. Maybe another solutions is just being more vocal about sharing Biblical truths and finding ways for God's truth to enter "normal" conversation.
 
Comments:
Back when I was involved in youth ministry (you remember that, way back in the day?) I remember thinking that perhaps we should take a more authoritative approach with Jr. highers and late grade schoolers. It's really col to see kids figure out stuff for themselves in the context of relationships and conversations which encourage personal thought on faith and personal ownership of spiritual growth, but I think at such a young age many kids are not ready to do that kind of critical thinking. That's not an across the board generalization, I think many kids that age can engage Christianity on a deeper, more abstract, personal level. However, I feel like sometimes we might leave kids who haven't developed quite as much yet in the dust. Also, there is something to be said for a person in a position of authority saying, "This is the truth. You can challenge it if you want, but here are the things I know to be true." I seem to remember kids really latching onto that. We've all ran small groups where we asked "What do you think about this...?" only to be answered with akward silence or fidgeting. But I can remember times when I simply said "this is what I believe and this is what happened in my life and what the bible says that makes me believe it" and I think the kids were impressed by that. These kids sure aren't learning about biblical history or doctrine from their schools, and they probably aren't from their parents, so I think instead of always asking our kids "What do you think about this?" or "How does this make you feel?" we could spend some of our time saying decisively "This is what we believe" and "This is what the Bible says." I trust kids to be able to form their own opinions once they are able to, but I also think we should give them a foundation to build those opinions on, things that they can choose to accept or reject as they see fit.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home
Who am I? I'm a follower of Christ, a lover of ultimate frisbee, a sister of three silly brothers, a youth worker for pre-teens, and a big fan of Diet Coke. I live by the beach, work at a church, eat a lot of canned soup and spend a lot of my free time buried in books. I don't like celery, zits or extreme sarcasm. I love my family, my friends, my co-workers and above all, GOD.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Lancaster, California, United States
COOL SITES
  • Andrew Seely
  • Val Snow
  • Justin Souza
  • Amy Souza
  • Andrew's Ghetto
  • Ryan Pappan
  • Sarah Strauss
  • Matt Price
  • Jenevieve Price
  • KC
  • Lily Lewin
  • Nicole Butchko
  • Nick Heathman
  • John Bowling
  • Ocean Hills Church


  • ARCHIVES
    December 2004 / January 2005 / February 2005 / March 2005 / October 2005 / November 2005 / April 2007 /


    Powered by Blogger