Kelsey-Land
11.21.2005
  I want out
Right now I really don't like my job. It's partly my own fault - I'll own it. I'm not good at saying "No." Here's what happens: A co-worker asks me if I can come up with some ideas for marketing Christmas. I say sure, I'll come up with a few ideas. I show my ideas, they are liked, I am asked to create a logo. I create the logo. The logo turns into an invite card, a booklet cover, a buliten cover and a poster. All of which I have to adapt and create accordingly. There goes a huge chunk of my time. There goes time that I'm not spending connecting with students, or connecting with my own friends. This is one example. I'm not good at saying no. I need to say no. I must say no. Here's why I say yes: I'm a people pleaser, I'm the youngest person on staff wanting to make a good impression, I don't know my limitations, I don't fully know what I'm saying yes to, I don't realize that saying YES to one thing means saying NO to the youth. I like youth ministry. I really like kids. I love the students I work with. I'm not doing youth ministry. I'm doing administration, marketing, design, follow-up, long-term planning, the children's Christmas musical, and have little time left for my real job: students! Pray for me that I can learn to say NO!
 
Comments:
16 years of a youth work and I still have a hard time saying no. What I've learned to do is to some how say no half of the time, the other half I use it to my advantage when I need something later or help with something then I go back to that person for help and most of the time I can get the help I need when I'm in a jam...I will pray for you!!!!!
 
ah.......learning to say no.....I will pray for you. It is really important for you to be able to set your boundaries. You can not be all things to all people.
 
Read More
 
Post a Comment

<< Home
Who am I? I'm a follower of Christ, a lover of ultimate frisbee, a sister of three silly brothers, a youth worker for pre-teens, and a big fan of Diet Coke. I live by the beach, work at a church, eat a lot of canned soup and spend a lot of my free time buried in books. I don't like celery, zits or extreme sarcasm. I love my family, my friends, my co-workers and above all, GOD.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Lancaster, California, United States
COOL SITES
  • Andrew Seely
  • Val Snow
  • Justin Souza
  • Amy Souza
  • Andrew's Ghetto
  • Ryan Pappan
  • Sarah Strauss
  • Matt Price
  • Jenevieve Price
  • KC
  • Lily Lewin
  • Nicole Butchko
  • Nick Heathman
  • John Bowling
  • Ocean Hills Church


  • ARCHIVES
    December 2004 / January 2005 / February 2005 / March 2005 / October 2005 / November 2005 / April 2007 /


    Powered by Blogger