Kelsey-Land
3.07.2005
  Jesus really values and loves women
Today I got this overwhelming reassurance of God's love for women. We're studying the story of the woman at the well and how Jesus revealed himself as the Messiah to her. There were three reasons that it is so shocking that Jesus talked to her - she was a Samaritan (hated half-breeds), she was promiscuous (she had 5 husbands - think Desperate Housewives style) and she was a woman. Did you know that one of the Jewish prayers was "Thank you God for not making me a woman" - and also that it was shameful to talk to a woman for an extended period of time. Some pious men would close their eyes if they saw a woman in public to avoid talking to them. It was absolutely tremendous that Jesus even talked to the Promiscuous Samaritan Woman much less revealed himself as the Messiah! The severity of this hit me today, and it was confirmed in my spirit that Jesus loves, affirms, embraces, and respects women. So many Gospel stories include Jesus and women - widows, poor, outcasts. I think this was such a beautiful realization to me because often I feel the injustices toward women, and sometimes feel devalued as a woman. To be honest, much of the resistance comes from Christians, specifically in the area of Women in Ministry. The Bible is so often used to "put women in their place." I'm speaking of the verses in 1 Timothy and Corinthians. I am embittered by some Christians who have been so hostile toward women in leadership. Today God confirmed in my heart how much Jesus loves women and included them in salvation. I felt valued, embraced, confirmed, and deeply loved. It was beautiful.
 
Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home
Who am I? I'm a follower of Christ, a lover of ultimate frisbee, a sister of three silly brothers, a youth worker for pre-teens, and a big fan of Diet Coke. I live by the beach, work at a church, eat a lot of canned soup and spend a lot of my free time buried in books. I don't like celery, zits or extreme sarcasm. I love my family, my friends, my co-workers and above all, GOD.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Lancaster, California, United States
COOL SITES
  • Andrew Seely
  • Val Snow
  • Justin Souza
  • Amy Souza
  • Andrew's Ghetto
  • Ryan Pappan
  • Sarah Strauss
  • Matt Price
  • Jenevieve Price
  • KC
  • Lily Lewin
  • Nicole Butchko
  • Nick Heathman
  • John Bowling
  • Ocean Hills Church


  • ARCHIVES
    December 2004 / January 2005 / February 2005 / March 2005 / October 2005 / November 2005 / April 2007 /


    Powered by Blogger