Kelsey-Land
2.01.2005
  Is it ever OK for Christians to cuss?
**Let me start by saying that sometimes I cuss.** Some Christian friends that I hung out with this weekend in Chicago started talking about cussing. They were saying that in a group of people that they know, feel comfortable with, and who won't be offended, cussing is OK. Among the right group, cussing takes on a different meaning, and therefore is no longer wrong. I didn't agree with their view. My feeling is that curse words are always wrong no matter who you are with. I put it on the same level with something like lying. Lying is wrong - and the context makes little difference, it's always wrong. Do you think that there are times when Christians should cuss? Is it permitable when making a point that "needs" strong language? Is it permitable when trying to make a joke? Is it OK when re-telling a story where someone else cussed? Personally, I don't mind it when non-Christians cuss, or when I hear cussing in a movie. However, it really bothers me when Christians cuss, it darkens my spirit somehow.
 
Comments:
I'm with you, Kelsey. Even though I sometimes do curse, it is just that to me: cursing, telling oaths against someone or something, which scripture says is a no-no, for sure.
 
You shared a lot of verses that have to do with using God's name in vain, which I agree is wrong, and which I agree is not the same thing as cussing. You might want to look at the verses in James (James 3:7-12). These verses talk about "taming the tongue." You can take this to mean several things, but I believe that cussing falls under the issue of taming the tongue. The verses in James also talk about fresh water and salty water coming from the same well. It isn't right to me that at one moment Christians are using their tongues to praise God, and in the next moment cussing. What are you thoughts on the verses I mentioned from James?
 
Consider this: which, if any, of the following words can you imagine Jesus using?
Fuck. Damn it. Shit. Asshole. Or variations thereof...

When you think of it that way, it's not such a hard question, is it?
 
Post a Comment

<< Home
Who am I? I'm a follower of Christ, a lover of ultimate frisbee, a sister of three silly brothers, a youth worker for pre-teens, and a big fan of Diet Coke. I live by the beach, work at a church, eat a lot of canned soup and spend a lot of my free time buried in books. I don't like celery, zits or extreme sarcasm. I love my family, my friends, my co-workers and above all, GOD.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Lancaster, California, United States
COOL SITES
  • Andrew Seely
  • Val Snow
  • Justin Souza
  • Amy Souza
  • Andrew's Ghetto
  • Ryan Pappan
  • Sarah Strauss
  • Matt Price
  • Jenevieve Price
  • KC
  • Lily Lewin
  • Nicole Butchko
  • Nick Heathman
  • John Bowling
  • Ocean Hills Church


  • ARCHIVES
    December 2004 / January 2005 / February 2005 / March 2005 / October 2005 / November 2005 / April 2007 /


    Powered by Blogger