Kelsey-Land
2.16.2005
  In response to my experience tonight...
Can a person be TOO religious or TOO spiritual. Am I a heathen even for wondering? Ok, I'll be more specific about this thought. I'm started wondering about this after I met a Christian who I felt like was too religous/spritual, if there is such a thing. The irony of this is that I've been told that I'm too religious. This person only talked about their faith. Is it wrong to only talk about your faith? It almost seems blasphamous to consider that there is such a thing as being too spiritual. Let me make a critical distinction here though. I think there is a definite different between becoming more spiritual by being conformed more and more to the likeness of Christ, and being spiritual by only talking about faith. I guess that part of this particular person that rubbed me the wrong way was that I couldn't relate to him. We had a love for God in common, but I didn't feel like I could comfortably express it because I wasn't as "spiritual." I think the root of the issue is being able to RELATE to people. This would include asking people questions, talking about things that are not directly related to God, being real about struggle.

I think I'm untrusting with people who are so upfront with their faith. I'm trying to figure out why I feel this way. Maybe its because I feel inadequate in comparison because I want to be more bold about what God is doing. Maybe its because I feel like they are being fake, just spouting out things that sound good, that make them appear good. (Which is a judgemental thing to think) Maybe its because I need to feel like I can relate to someone on common humanity before I trust enough to relate on a spiritual level. Or maybe its all of those, or something else completely. All of the reasons I came up with are pretty lame on my part.

 
Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home
Who am I? I'm a follower of Christ, a lover of ultimate frisbee, a sister of three silly brothers, a youth worker for pre-teens, and a big fan of Diet Coke. I live by the beach, work at a church, eat a lot of canned soup and spend a lot of my free time buried in books. I don't like celery, zits or extreme sarcasm. I love my family, my friends, my co-workers and above all, GOD.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Lancaster, California, United States
COOL SITES
  • Andrew Seely
  • Val Snow
  • Justin Souza
  • Amy Souza
  • Andrew's Ghetto
  • Ryan Pappan
  • Sarah Strauss
  • Matt Price
  • Jenevieve Price
  • KC
  • Lily Lewin
  • Nicole Butchko
  • Nick Heathman
  • John Bowling
  • Ocean Hills Church


  • ARCHIVES
    December 2004 / January 2005 / February 2005 / March 2005 / October 2005 / November 2005 / April 2007 /


    Powered by Blogger