Kelsey-Land
1.14.2005
  Online Dating
I'm very curious about online dating. I was so curious that I even checked out a few sites. I looked at E-Harmony first, and even went so far as to fill out their entire survey. Which, by the way, helped me learn a lot about myself. I got to the point where you had to pay, and discovered that it was $50 for one month! (Of course if you sign up for more months, the cost per month is less) Then I felt PATHETIC! I was actually considering "selling" myself on line! It puts a whole new spin on the phrase "I'm on the market." When you are doing online dating, it's like you're ACTUALLY a product for SALE on the market! Online dating has made "relationships" something that can be bought and sold! Maybe this has always been the case for dating - that is that dating seems to be a lot like trying on clothes at a store to see which outfit fits best. However, with online dating, this "buying & selling" becomes so much more obvious.
 
Comments:
Dating has always been a market. And, at least for guys, it has always had a price. Ask any guy--women are expensive! Dates cost money. I'd rather pay $50 to find out what I really want to know about several people, then spend hundreds of dollars on dates where I might not discover the really important things about someone that would make or break a relationship.

Everything costs money, especially dating. I'd rather be up front about the fact that I would like to get married and that I'm willing to invest time and money to find the right person for me.

The online thing certainly isn't for everyone. People in other eras seemed to get along fine without it. But I think it fills a genuine need in our society at this point in history.

(I was on eHarmony for 3 months last year, and just signed up for another 3 months a few days ago).
 
I definitely agree that there is a need to online dating in this time in our history. I think it works better for some people than others. Dating doesn't have to be expensive. Sometimes a nice evening at home playing cards can be just as fun (and less stressful) than going out to dinner and a movie. Traditionaly guys seem to be the ones who are always paying for dates - which I can see why it would seem more expensive for them. However, if the girl is cool, then she could pay for some of it! Or they could switch on who was treating.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home
Who am I? I'm a follower of Christ, a lover of ultimate frisbee, a sister of three silly brothers, a youth worker for pre-teens, and a big fan of Diet Coke. I live by the beach, work at a church, eat a lot of canned soup and spend a lot of my free time buried in books. I don't like celery, zits or extreme sarcasm. I love my family, my friends, my co-workers and above all, GOD.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Lancaster, California, United States
COOL SITES
  • Andrew Seely
  • Val Snow
  • Justin Souza
  • Amy Souza
  • Andrew's Ghetto
  • Ryan Pappan
  • Sarah Strauss
  • Matt Price
  • Jenevieve Price
  • KC
  • Lily Lewin
  • Nicole Butchko
  • Nick Heathman
  • John Bowling
  • Ocean Hills Church


  • ARCHIVES
    December 2004 / January 2005 / February 2005 / March 2005 / October 2005 / November 2005 / April 2007 /


    Powered by Blogger